Mosquito Lake Road Bridge - Middle Fork Nooksack River


test 1 test 2 test 3 test 4 test 5 test 6



The Middle Fork Bridge was originally constructed in 1915 as the "Guide Meridian" bridge; it was a 385 foot Pettit Truss bridge. In 1952 the bridge was relocated upstream and shortened to its current 338 foot length. A 2002 inspection by WSDOT & Whatcom County deemed the Middle Fork Bridge was in need of strengthening and repair. The rehabilitation involved an in depth load rating, phased array ultrasonic testing of the pins, replacing any deficient truss members, and replacing any weather weakened steel components.

The rehabilitation also included replacement of the deck and rail system, floor beam strengthening, repainting, installing seismic isolation bearings, and scour protection.

Because of creativity and coordination between the owner, design team and contractor the project was awarded the APWA National project of the Year for historic rehabilitation.